Sunday 16 February 2014

Seeing sense

Here is the location on Google Maps - http://goo.gl/maps/QLvEr

A few months ago I made a video showing a new cycle contraflow that KCC had installed. Essentially the no entry signs at the end of a 70mph slip road had been replaced by No motor vehicle signs
Nothing else had changed for oncoming traffic. Road markings still showed that motor traffic could use both lanes. While knowing the road personally meant I knew that using this would be suicidal, others might not. The shared use path to the right is part of the National Cycle Network, so it was likely that people would end up here not knowing the area.

At the time I made a complaint to KCC, warning them about this, and questioning  why this was changed. I was told that no fault was found, that the signage was correct. 

When I returned today I found that the no entry signs were back
It seems that Kent County Council finally decided that allowing cyclists to ride head on into traffic coming off a major dual carriageway at 70mph might be a bad idea. But you have to question, who thought it was a good idea in the first place?

No comments:

Post a Comment